To use the joy of dog training in support of behavioral therapy professionals in their effort to nurture empathy and non-violent problem solving skills.
WHO WE ARE
We are an all-volunteer 501(c)3 organization serving the Portland Metro area. Our therapy teams are dog/handler pairs who are ably assisted by others who share the vision.
WHAT WE DO
Our S.T.A.R. (See Tag And Reward) Teams teach non-violent relationship and problem-solving skills to at-risk youths through classes in positive dog training.
Regina (the tall one in purple), Lyndi (the blonde) and Cookie had a GREAT time schmoozing with the crowd!
At The Standard 2023 Volunteer Expo we had the pleasure of connecting both with potential clients (hi, Friends of the Children!) and with folks interested in helping with the growing list of “back office” functions needed to keep our organization running:
- Grant Seeker / Writer
- Liaison to existing and potential clients
Examples: DV shelters, schools, foster organizations
- Liaison to educational institutions assessing our program
Example: Pacific University Psychology Dept.
- Fundraising (manage relationships with local businesses, events)
Example: Western Pet Supply and Green Dog both give S.T.A.R. teams a 10% discount
- Assist as needed during S.T.A.R. Team Practices
- Assist as needed during new Team training and testing
Examples: Clicker Training 101, Fun tricks with X prop, humane education “best practices”, effects of trauma on children
- Spokesperson (presentations explaining the program, sometimes on camera)
- Staffing a booth at an outreach event (like the Volunteer Expo!)
- Social Media management (Facebook, Instagram)
Interested in becoming one of our teams?
We invite you to "Try-It-Out"!
Target Audience: Handlers and dogs who want to explore the notion of becoming a S.T.A.R. team. Participation does NOT commit you to going any further in our program but it does give you "first dibs" on the limited number of spots in the full Test Prep Series.
- First Step: We'd like to meet with you online to chat first! Easy peasy – just send an email introducing yourself to recruiting@theLittleDogLaughed.org to kick things off. After we've had a chance to get to know you and answer your questions, we'll schedule a "Try-It-Out" session so we can meet your dog and watch you work together.
- What would you do at the Try-It-Out? Activities usually include:
- Training a simple new behavior using the clicker: You will select one of our props and using JUST a clicker teach your dog to touch it with its nose/paw.
- Changing handlers – each dog/handler will teach one of their dog's current cues to another person (our senior handlers).
- Mini‐Rally course – can you keep your dog’s attention for a short obedience rally course?
Pre-arranged Saturdays, 10 - 11:00 am at Pup-A-Razzi Beaverton
Pre-arranged evening at Sellwood Community House Portland
- Cost: Free